BARBUDA'S OCEANS, PEOPLE, AND ENVIRONMENT NEEDS OUR HELP
There is an environmental and humanitarian crisis happening right now in the Caribbean island of Barbuda.
We're on a mission to help stop the destruction of the land and ocean in Barbuda before it's too late.
Another case of money taking precedent over the environment.
Foreign land developers are building luxury resorts and golf courses. The land development is posing extreme risk to people, animals, wetlands, and the ocean. The rights to sell or develop land in Barbuda remain highly contested.
Current developments include:
1) The Barbuda Ocean Club is currently constructing an 18 hole golf course and 450 private luxury residences on top of an internationally-protected wetland, and right on a world class surf break.
2) The Abercorn Trust has applied to build 2 private mansions for British Businessman and the PLH founder John Paul DeJoria, right on the protected Codrington Lagoon National Park, which is dangerously close to the region’s largest frigate bird sanctuary.
3) Construction of unauthorized air strip to bring new international flights into the new resorts and exclusive residential communities.The air-strip was co-funded by PLH LLC (the order of the aforementioned Barbuda Ocean Club)
Concerns with development
How can we help stop these atrocities from happening in Barbuda?!
1. Share the message. Right now, there is very little coverage on social media or the news about this issue.Sharing the messages by tagging surfers, organizations, and activists on social media is HUGE at this stage in the game! The more influential people who know about this issue, the more we effective we can be at garnering a coalition AGAINST the development!
2. Donate to the Global Legal Action Network. The GLAN is currently working on legal action to preserve the Codrington Wetland in Barbuda under the Rasmar Convention.This legal work is expensive and extremely important for stopping the destruction of the environment!
3. Send messages of disapproval to the Barbuda Ocean Club and the Discovery Land Company. These are the companies responsible for the land developments in Barbuda.Barbuda Ocean Club has limited their comments on Instagram: the behaviour of a company with something to hide.We need to share the companies who are negligently causing harm to the environment and people of Barbuda.
4. Support Save Our Surf. We use the funds from our sales to work on activism campaigns like this one. We founded Save Our Surf with the structure of selling clothes to fund activism because we didn’t want to rely on donations. We love providing you guys with the opportunity to buy something that helps the environment instead of making rich people richer.(Also, of course, every item purchased removes 1lb of plastic from the ocean)